Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Wow!

Holy Cow!  The out pouring of support was absolutely tremendous.  To those of who you took the time to comment or message me directly thank you very much.  Just so you know, even though I haven't responded, doesn't mean I didn't see it and take in every word.  I will respond to each of you directly.  With that said I don't want you to think I am some attention whore, who is just writing to draw attention to himself.

I started this blog many, many years ago.  Originally it was to share my journey, as I tried to lose weight.  I called it My Lifestyle Change, because everything I learned about losing weight was that in order for it to last it has to be about changing how you live.  The problem is that this blog quickly turned into a running commercial for what ever latest diet trend I was selling.  Don't get me wrong, the exercise programs and products I was using work, if you follow them completely.  My issue was apparently I wasn't mentally ready (not so sure I am now, but I really don't have a choice).

You see, I thought that if I just changed the way I ate, or exercised a ton I could lose weight easily.  That was mostly true when I was younger, oh to be young and have an extremely fast metabolism.  However, over the years I have learned that there is so much more that goes into it than just the way you eat or how much you exercise.  What is going on between your ears apparently has a lot to do with losing weight as well.  Who knew right?  Little did I know that if I wasn't doing it for the right reason (like selling a product) or not having a strong enough reason why, I wasn't going to have much success.

So with that said let me put this out there.  I know there are a lot of people who are going to empathize with me on this one.  I am an emotional eater!  I also love to eat when I am stressed.  My wife is the opposite of me, when she is stressed she doesn't eat.  So while yes I know the things I should and should not be eating (again thank you everyone for the suggestions on what has worked and not worked for them), when I get into one of my depressive states the brain shuts down and the stomach just says feed me.  So my question today is what are some of the things you do to prevent yourself from eating the crap that you know you shouldn't be eating?  Please don't give me the obvious don't have it in the house, or hide it.  As most of you know I have 3 kids (2 teenage boys and a pre-teen girl (did I really just say that?  Oh geez help me!!!)), so there is going to be junk in the house from time to time.  My question is more about what do you do to stop yourself from eating it or what are your tricks for developing willpower? I only ask because there are about 6 slices of left over pizza (2 slices of plain, 2 sausage and 2 pepperoni, it's really sad that I know that) in the fridge that are calling my name.  I know it would be easy to throw it away and the temptation would be gone, but I hate to waste food.  Hopefully my kids will come home from camp and eat it as a snack, so I don't have to worry about it.

No comments: