Tuesday, July 21, 2015

I Survived

I am happy to report that as of Friday I had lost 10 pounds.  Don't worry I know it is always the easiest to lose weight in the beginning.  With that said I also knew this past weekend was going to be challenging, because we were going down the shore for the weekend to celebrate my oldest son's birthday (still can't believe he is 15, time really does fly by).  Anyway, so while I am sad to report that I did gain 1.5 pounds over the weekend (see Bill I told you I would share both when I lose and when I gain), I am proud of myself for showing some restraint when it came to what I ate.  I also learned some very valuable lessons.

People ask me why I put everything out there for the whole world to see.  Part of the reason I did that is for accountability and support.  Which as I learned this weekend is crucial for success.  Because I told the world what I am trying to do, people have gone out of their way to cheer me on.  I mean the amount of people who have reached out to me is just staggering!  My parents made sure there was stuff Allie and I could eat.  Even going as far as buying bagel thins so I could enjoy having a bagel and lox for breakfast and not have all of the calories and carbs of a full size bagel.  They made sure there was plenty of fruit for us to snack on and healthy choices for lunch available (thanks Mom and Dad!).  Did I have a few slip ups? Absolutely!  Did I make more right than wrong choices?  Absolutely!  I'm human after all.

So what other lessons did I learn this weekend?  Well I learned that I do in fact have some will power.  Who knew?  I learned that walking around weighing 285 pounds sure puts a pounding on your legs.  I learned that pulling a fully loaded beach cart while weighing 285 pounds, is like walking through quick sand.  Most importantly I learned that I can in fact do this, because the circle of people I have around all want me to succeed.  Sure there are going to be times that I slip up and eat junk food or drink a few to many beers.  It's what I do the next day that matters.  It's that I get back up and push forward.  As Rocky says, "It ain't about how hard you hit; It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It;s how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done."

Starting Weight: 295 lbs.
Week 1: 286.5 lbs.  - 8.5 lbs.

Bring on Week 2!

No comments: